Sunday, June 21, 2009

Save Fallston's Library follow-up

I wrote my local representative and the library representatives listed on this link:

After Thursday's meeting, I got this impression from the library trustee board sitting at the front: It seems like the board supporters were putting blame on the community for not speaking up sooner, at the time when the county council decided to cut the budget. True, in a perfect world every member of Harford County would be up-to-date and involved in their county's politics. But we're not... and now I think it is completely unfair that the library trustee board places the hardship of a county-wide budget cut solely on one part of a community -- Fallston. It is socially irresponsible. It's reality, budgets get cut. But spread the damage out -- impose cutbacks or a plan to increase revenue county-wide -- so that it minimally affects all.
It was such an awesome turnout, but I heard no county council members were there.

I think all local representatives need to make sure they attend the public hearing at Fallston High 6 p.m. next Thursday.

Ms. Caplan and Capt. Jim, Thank you for your reply!

Ms. Amasia,
I don't believe that was the message Mr. Nicodemus meant to
convey. I think he was trying to tell the community that we will need your help
next year. I can assure you that the Board and staff heard the community out
pour to save the branch and listened carefully to the suggestions given. There
will be another hearing next Thursday at 6PM at Fallston High so those who
couldn't get in the room may have an opportunity to speak. Thank you for your
advocacy for the Fallston Branch.
Audra Caplan

Mr Shrodes serves as the council liaison to the board of
trustees and Mr Woods represents Fallston. I was told they both were going
to be there but I will ask to make sure. They probably did not
speak.. Captain Jim Dist C


No comments: