Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Cover Up to Cool Down: Wearing Long Sleeves in the Summer

The new business is hot and heavy. The weekend was spent in the 90 degree heat carrying weighty camera equipment. After my South East Asia trip this spring, I have been suriving the summer heat with one of my many far-out experiments: To train my body to cool down by wearing long sleeves and long pants during the hot months.

Spending time in hot countries, I have noticed that the people residing in these places tend to cover themselves. Rarely are shorts seen. Plus, the residents seem a lot more comfortable than I am in the same heat.

This is a strange thing for me to rant and rave about, I know. But during this weekend's hot and heavy work I met a woman doing the same thing. She was in velour pants (yes, velour...maybe she can be my mentor because I'm not THAT conditioned to the heat yet.) I told her of my long pants long sleeved summer experiment and she said that she was doing the same thing. Isn't that crazy?

She said she is from Colombia and that most people keep themselves clothed in the summer to protect from the sun and to cool their body temp. It's nice to see that my antics have some justification.

By the way, while writing this blog I am wearing a blue hoodie and blue jeans.

2 comments:

kateri said...

Interesting Danielle. I do believe your body's response to heat can be conditioned, but I think it has more to do with energy metabolism than getting used to wearing flannel in summer. Your body is trying to get to it's ideal temp regardless of how you dress. But I guess you are not discussing the response, just the comfort...For me they are the same because the amount I sweat directly relates to my comfort.

On clothes and sweating:
I think that there are several reasons why it's good and bad to wear clothes in the heat and the most important reason why not to is sweat. My initial thought is that once you sweat, you will feel MUCH cooler by uncovering yourself because your skin temp is cooled as sweat evaporates (converting heat from your skin to engery needed to evaporate), and in most cases, sweat will evaporate into the air...if it's extremely humid, does sweat evaporate at all...as you feel is dripping down your back?..no se. However, heat is also lost through convection (moving air), and at a much higher rate through wet materials...so if your skin is covered in sweat, and uncovered from clothes, you will feel great relief from the breeze, which would otherwise bring no benefit to overdressers. Overall, maybe it would be good to protect yourself from the sun with clothes until you started to sweat, and then treat yourself to some convective heat loss!

lesley.sampson said...

hey chica,
saw your comment.. would love to come see you and your mom! mondays are good for me, probably in the morning (before his lunch/nap).... we're pet sitting this monday, but how about the monday after labor day??