Thursday, July 17, 2008

Search is Out for a Neighborhood Buddy

I was telling my Dream Team yesterday that I was on the search for a neighborhood friend. Francesca replied, "What am I, chopped liver?" Well one, you live 2.4 miles away and I practically die trudging up the hills to your house on my crap bicycle; and two, it took me two phone calls and a mocking tone by you to get your over here tonight. She said that I wanted a neighborhood friend so I could have someone at my beck and call. :::sigh::: Who me?? I need to be entertained? No way!

OK, she's right. I want to play, ride my crap bike down the street to pick up my non-busy imaginary friend and then frolic around the neighborhood catching tadpoles in the stream--well, I guess they'd be frogs at this point -- and eat ice cream on my seven hammocks in my yard on a hot summer's day after searching around the woods for good fort spots. Ahh, I'm envious of the 12-year olds in my neighborhood. Maybe I can just get in tight with them.

Did you know the cliche "What am I, chopped liver?" is a Jewish-English expression. Chopped liver was traditionally served as a side dish rather than a main course. The phrase, therefore may have originally meant to express a feeling of being overlooked, as a "side dish."


In "Beck and Call," "Call" is used here with its usual meaning. "Beck" is a shortened form of "beckon", which we do still know well and understand to mean 'to signal silently, by a nod or motion of the hand or finger, indicating a request or command'.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be your friend (:)

Anonymous said...

,m